There’s a lot of Kinect-driven mocap development going on and that is fantastic. I also wanted to show off a couple of other animation tools out there. I’d like to see more physics and algorithmic animation tools available and I found a couple of very promising pieces of open-source software.
cartwheel-3d – Physics Based Character Animation Framework
DANCE – Dynamic Animation and Control Environment
Both can be used to create animation with a combination of physics and scripted control. The details of how they work are beyond me, but what they do is pretty amazing. Both are written in c++ but they both heavily use python for scripting and UI.
I am working with cartwheel-3d to try and use some of the features in Blender. I could try to work out a simple BVH exporter for cartwheel, or maybe an OSC server to send animation data to be recorded in Blender. Or simply try to use the functions direction in Blender. Still haven’t got that far. So far all I’ve done is compile cartwheel-3d. So I’ve included some notes on how I did it so if anyone else wants to work on this too they can get started easier.
-Basically I followed the instructions on the ‘Get Started‘ page for cartwheel-3d with a few important exceptions.
COMPILING C++ : MS VStudioExpress2010
*no spaces in paths!
*lib folder in workspace ie. “C:workspacelib”
*glew32.dll and glut32.dll lib and lib in PATH variable
-After getting repository and opening- VS2010 converts and messes up target and extensions. To fix this.
>VIEW>PROJECT PAGE>CONFIGURATION PROPERTIES>GENERAL>
-Change Target Name from $(ProjectName) to _$(ProjectName)
-Change Target Extension to .pyd
-Repeat on all projects except ode and gls
-Repeat on debug and release
-Make sure BROWSE INFORMATION is OFF on all projects
>VIEW>PROJECT PAGE>CONFIGURATION PROPERTIES>C/C++>BROWSE INFORMATION
>ENABLE BROWSE INFORMATION – “NO”
DEBUGGING PYTHON: ECLIPSE (CLASSIC) + PYDEV
-Open eclipse (classic)
-Set interpreter to py26
-Make a copy of ‘cartwheel-3d’ project folder- rename ‘simbicon’
-Got some error about Core.py returning _mod before assignment. not sure what I did to siz it- sorry. I remember I opened core.py in the editor to look for the error, then ran again and it worked… weird.
So that’s it for now. Hope to do something constructive with this.